6.11.2014

Cilantro Lime Quinoa

I'm a little on the fence about how I feel about quinoa.  I know it's really good for you and it's hearty and satisfying to keep you full longer, but I'm just not sure I love it.  That said, I am on a quest to try some more quinoa recipe to see if my taste develops.  This recipe has a great blend of flavors - lime, cilantro and jalapeno.  Check it out and see what you think!
Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Points Plus: 5pp
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
 
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 jalapeno, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 4 oz. can green chiles
1 cup quinoa
2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1 15 oz. can chickpeas
2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
Zest from 1 lime
2 Tbsp. lime juice
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic, onion and jalapeno for 1-2 minutes.  Add in the quinoa, broth, green chiles, and salt & pepper.  Stir until everything is well combined.  Turn the burner to high heat and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cover.  Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the qunioa is fully cooked.  Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl and stir in the green onions, chickpeas and cilantro.  Zest and juice the lime and add to the bowl.  Finish with some additional salt and pepper and serve in bowls.
Tip:
Warning - this recipe has a lot of lime flavor between the zest and lime juice.  If you aren't a huge fan, I would recommending cutting back and only zesting 1/2 the lime and not using all the juice.  I for one LOVE lime flavor and added the full amount!

XOXO Megan

Adapted from Laa Loosh

No comments:

Post a Comment