6.03.2013

Southwest Chopped Salad


This salad is full of flavors and bright colors!  I love all the colors throughout; it definitely reminds me of summer.  I found the original recipe on Pinterest and I adapted it slightly by adding in some avocado.  The recipe calls for a homemade cilantro-lime dressing found here.  It sounded DELICIOUS, but I had to opt for a store-bought dressing for a few reasons. 
1. I’m moving soon and have already packed up my blender. 
2. Although the recipe says to make the dressing in either a blender or food processor, I really think it would work best in a food processor and unfortunately I don’t have one.  Hopefully sometime soon I will have this kitchen tool since it’s on my wedding registry :)
Servings: 6
Size:   1/6 of the salad
Points Plus: 5pp
Level of Difficulty:  Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time:  n/a
Rating: 3 stars - Good

Ingredient List:
Large head of romaine lettuce
1 large orange bell pepper
5 green onions
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz. can of corn, drained
1 medium avocado, diced

Directions:
Wash and finely chop the romaine, bell pepper and green onions.  Wash and quarter the cherry tomatoes.  Open the cans of black beans and corn, drain and rinse. Dice the avocado.  Add all ingredients into a large bowl, stir to combine.  Toss salad with your desired dressing and enjoy!
Tip:
Don’t underestimate the size of the bowl you need to mix up this salad!  There are lots of veggies in this recipe and you will want a bowl big enough that you can really fully mix all the ingredients in.  Also, a little tip for really brining out the flavor or your avocado. Sprinkle some salt on top of your salad with fresh avocado - the salt will really heighten the taste of the avocado - yum!
XOXO Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment