3.05.2014

Asian Quinoa Salad

Asian week continues with this beautiful quinoa salad.  Really, the reason I was drawn to this recipe in the first place, was because of the lovely photos on Two Peas & Their Pod’s blog, I just made a few changes. This recipe is full of fun Asian flavors like edamame, red cabbage, ginger and my FAV – toasted sesame oil.  I made this on Sunday, and then packed it in my lunch all week long!

Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 cup
Points Plus: 6pp
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Easy



Ingredient List: 
Salad
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup chopped red cabbage
1 cup shelled and cooked edamame
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup diced cucumber

Dressing
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon grated ginger, I used my micro-zester
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Add water and quinoa to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

Place the quinoa in a large bowl and add the cabbage, edamame, red pepper, carrots, and cucumber. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, green onions, cilantro, sesame seeds, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.

Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and stir to combine. This salad is good served at room temperature or chilled.

Tip:
I always make my quinoa in a rice cooker; it comes out perfect every time.  I simply add the quinoa and chicken stock, give it a stir, and then turn it on.  I check it after 20 minutes and it is usually done.  

XOXO - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment