3.13.2014

Kale, Carrots & Pine Nuts Salad

I first had this salad at one of my husband and my favorite restaurants, Yum! Kitchen & Bakery in Saint Louis Park.  It’s a great blend of flavors on a bed of baby kale.  I decided I could easily recreate this at home since the ingredients are all relatively common.  Look for currants in the dried fruit section of your grocery store, near the raisins!  Also, I suggest you serve it with a lemon vinaigrette dressing just like they did at Yum!

Servings:  4
Size:  ¼ of salad
Points Plus: 5pp (does not include pp value of any dressing)
Level of Difficulty:  Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time:  n/a

Ingredient List:
Large bunch of baby kale
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup dried currants
½ cup pine nuts
2 oz. Parmesan cheese, flakes

Directions:
Wash and prep the baby kale and add to a large bowl.  Dice the cherry tomatoes in half. Add tomatoes, carrots, currants and pine nuts to the bowl.  Toss the salad so all the ingredients are evenly distributed.  Serve in salad bowls and top with ½ oz. of parmesan cheese and your dressing of choice. 

**Note - when I made this salad at home for the first time I had some baby spinach I wanted to use up, so I included a mix of spinach and kale.  The original at Yum just included kale.  Either way, it's a delicious, healthy salad!

Tip:
Who doesn’t love to use shredded carrots instead of slicing them in matchsticks yourself?  They can be a great time saver!
XOXO Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment